Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Don't Call The Law

I'm Playing Outside...


As I've mentioned before, for the past month or so I've been studying an accident in a laundry and steam plant up in Atlanta that injured two people and caused a good deal of property damage.

Here's a photo of the actual accident scene:




That big white thing in the foreground is a 6" steel condensate pipe with a couple of inches of insulation wrapped around it.

The big round thing in the middle is a 42" diameter condensate receiver that had both flat ends blown off of it during the accident.

What is amazing to us is that both ends let go at once, so my job is to reproduce the accident on a smaller scale without using lethal 110 PSI 300 degree steam and burning my face and legs off in the process.

This morning I went over to Ace Hardware and bought some more brass and PVC pipe fittings, and when I got home I fooled around in my garage for awhile building my idea of a tank model, then I wandered out into an unimproved area of the side yard between our house and a big board fence to the house next door, and here's what I did with my contraption when it was all connected up to my air compressor:




In some places this might be considered against the law, but down here in the south we still call it...

R E S E A R C H.



Dammit...

No comments: