Thursday, October 06, 2005

Good News—We’re Back To A Yellow Alert Status

I’ll call FEMA when they get in to their offices tomorrow morning…

OK, I donned my shoes and slicker, grabbed the old digital camera and, thinking of acting in the style of the Weather Channel’s Jim Cantori, I wandered out into the aftermath of Tropical Storm Tammy.

Believe me, I did my best, but I came up empty.

I must have driven past thirty or forty million dollars of fancy smancy real estate and all I could find was some flooded golf cart paths and a bunch of vegetative debris that had fallen in the road. There were a few larger tree limbs that had fallen on the pavement forcing me to swerve wildly at 20 MPH across the centerline—I even had to drive entirely in the opposite lane once. I did see a mailbox that had been dislodged from its mooring, such a tragedy. I guess since we don’t have any mobile homes here on the island that God spared us the obligatory death by tornado

My fellow Miami blogger Steve over at Hog On Ice mentioned how unfair it was that this storm formed this morning and didn’t give all of the weather persons a week’s worth of open collar, slack tied, hysterical broadcasts to entertain and confuse the general public with.

Actually, after dodging four storms last August and September we were starting to feel a little left out here in the Golden Isles. And after all, everyone loves the media attention and the old people need something to force them to run to the pharmacy and grocery store to restock their arsenal of “Hurricane Supplies.”

Steve said that the weather persons should have just gone on the radio and TV and yelled something like “Everybody Duck”.

I agree, that’s the way Tammy worked. Named this morning, and gone by the next day.

That's the way it's supposed to be here on the Georgia coast...

When we moved here to St. Simons in the spring of 2004 we understood that we were living a couple of feet above the high tide line, within a mile of the Atlantic Ocean.

Once again Tammy provided us with a little titillation and excitement, but we also dodged a bullet.

Bring on TS Vincent…we're ready

No comments: