Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Media's In Denial

And I'm Tired Of Listening...


Well, ladies and gentlemen, I can state emphatically that the first "killer storm" of the season is thus far all bark and no bite.

We've gotten about 1/10th of 1 millimeter of rain thus far, and you couldn't fly a kite without riding in the back of a SUV at 20 MPH if you wanted to.

In other words, we have had exactly Zero wind thus far today.

I guess that this proves that Karl Rove, President Bush, and FEMA really can control the weather, and when a storm threatens wealthy suburbs populated by angry white male Libertarians, they just walk over and press the "Easy Button" that they bought at Staples.

Disaster is then averted.

Regarding the Kentucky plane crash, it was reported today that there was only one air traffic controller working in the tower at the time of the accident.

There were supposed to be at least two.

I didn't write about that in this blog, but I discussed it with some of my other pilot friends and we agreed that there was a high probablity that the controllers could share some of the responsibility for the pilot attempting to depart on a 3,500 foot runway in an aircraft that needs at least 5,000 feet to get airborn.

Case closed on that accident, in my opinion--although some contractor may catch some heat for knocking down signs and not replacing markings when doing the recent runway repaving project.

Any way, I'll keep one eye on the weather channel tonight and if anything interesting happens like it actually starts raining hard or the wind blows over 25 or 30 MPH, I might grab a coat and umbrella and try to act like my weather god idol, Jim Cantori.

Then again, I might just sleep through the whole disaster total non-event.

1 comment:

Ed Drew said...

I heard it reported on the news the other day that normal manning for that tower was one controller. Now I don't know where they had gotten that info or if it was correct, but it was reported. They also said that it is not the responsibility of the controller to insure that the plane is on the correct runway. I accidently happen to be a private pilot and I think I would agree on that last point. The pilot should know if he is on the correct runway. This is just an opinion, I don't recall the rules or regs on it.