Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Quiet During Before The Storm

Yawn...


At 4:30 AM EST I was bobbing around our swimming pool watching the splash reflections made by rain droplets striking the surface of the water, and doing nerdy things like thinking about surface tension in fluids and how the individual wave patterns reflect off of each other in a phenomena called "constructive and destructive" interferance.

I think that human society has a number parallels to this type of action, but I'm too tired to try to explain it right now.

I just looked at the NOAA website and Ernesto is winding back up offshore just to our southeast, but there hasn't been a gust over 2 MPH here so far, although we are getting a steady moderate rain now.

The good news is that my frogs and toads have come out of hiding at the pool and are happily acting all froggy--braping and chirping and hopping around--and that makes me fairly sure that the worst is all a figment of our imagination.

You see, I didn't mention it, but last night I couldn't find one single frog hanging around the pool deck and, being the grandson of a southern farmer, their absence made me a bit nervous.

Not to worry.

I know that everything's gonna be all right here, because the frogs are singing and even the birds are already flapping around on our feeders this morning.

If I were living on Pawleys Island or up in Little River, I might be paying slightly more attention to our little friend Ernesto because he might wind up a little tighter this morning and make a little trouble before it is all said and done.

I guess that I'm glad that I'm not living right on the beach in South or North Carolina right now

No comments: