Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sushi, Wasabi, And Me

Just Sprinkle My Remains With Pickled Ginger And A Good Soy Sauce…


OK, my birthday festivities began last evening, and when it was all over with I ended up eating more Sushi than an entire school of Tuna could put away.

Well…almost…

Actually, my 47th isn’t until Sunday, but I’m pretty secretive about such goings on so only my family and now my blog readers know of the event.

I hate situations forcing acquaintances and total strangers to feel compelled to participate in often half hearted recognition of persons that are otherwise of dubious regard and character in the community.

Don’t get me wrong…I know I’m both “dubious” and a “character” most of the time, but I just prefer the sincere recognition of my mother, my sister, my girl Pat, and possibly a few close friends rather than milking the public for free drinks and a cheep birthday cake.

The balance of this weekend's celebration will hopefully consist of a couple of nice sunny days at our swimming pool working on our late season suntans, with me doing the cooking for dinner both on Saturday for Pat and I and on Sunday for our friends Bruce and Ski.

By the way, Saturday I’m doing one of my soon to be famous White Pizza with my home made thick crust, and on Sunday I’m doing my already famous Chicken Piccata.

Back to the Sushi reference in my title, I’ve just sat here and consumed about another eight pieces of various kinds of rolls left over from last night’s dinner.

Sushi for breakfast…am I weird or what?

I have to say again that this new Japanese restaurant here on the island is really GOOD.

Thank God, because they are the only show in town (or should I say—on the Island) and I was slowly slipping into a state of sushi withdrawal over the past two and one half years.

In Atlanta, sushi bars are like Mexican restaurants, there’s one every five hundred yards up and down every thoroughfare.

It must be a law or county ordinance or something, I don’t know.

My only problem this morning was that I could only find one chop stick, so I was forced to poke around with my fingers in the Wasabi/soy mixture in my bowl.

It was still yummy...

OK, the Sushi’s all gone, it’s time to get back to working on my recipes for our Mediterranean Christmas party.

I hope that Y'all have a good Labor Day weekend…I KNOW that I will.

1 comment:

James said...

What's the Japanese Restaraunt? I'm only down that way a couple times a year (this past weekend being one of them) and I was disappointed when I made the trip down a couple years back and Kyoto's (or Myabi's, whichever it was at the end) closed down. They always had good prices and generous portions unlike some of the ones up here near Atlanta. Also, Happy Birthday from a complete stranger. I love the blog and read it (almost) daily.